1/14/10

Homeade Oatmeal Packets


We are always looking for a quick breakfast around here. Especially one that the kids can make themselves. We enjoy the little instant oatmeal packets that you get at the store, so I decided to give these a try. I don't know if they are much better for you, but you can control what goes into them and make them as healthy or unhealthy as you like. Personally I think plain oatmeal tastes like soggy cardboard, so mine have sugar in them. I also doubled a few packets for my husband's man sized appetite. We'll see in the morning how they taste.

I waited to long to post this. They turned out great. We made Apple Cinnamon Pecan, Blueberries 'n' Cream, S'mores and Cinnamon Brown Sugar.  The kids don't like things to be too hot. So instead of adding boiling water to the oatmeal, I covered the oatmeal with about a 1/3 of a cup of warm water and then microwaved it for about 30 seconds. They were so tasty and filling!!  Now we can save the bags and refill them for next week.

*Addendum:  After trying this a few times.  I have decided that I am too lazy to make all the different kinds and place them in little baggies.  So now I just make one big batch of brown sugar and spice following this recipe:

Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal:
2 1/2 cups oats
1 1/4 c. ground oats
/1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/4 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. all spice

In the mornings we scoop out 1/4 cup for the kids or 1/2 cup for us, add any additional fruits or berries, add enough water to cover, and then microwave for 30-60 seconds.  You have to let it sit a little while to thicken, but it's so fast, easy and delicious every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment