4/2/11

Teaching/Learning

The theme for this month is going to be "Teaching/Learning". I wish I was able to say that I chose this topic because of my desire to share all the wonderful things God is teaching me or the lessons I am learning every day as I continue on this journey of motherhood. The reality is that I have a couple of projects I have been working on and I wanted to post the tutorials.  

(Here is a tip: I have a folder saved under my Favorites called "Craft Ideas". Every time I find a cute craft that I would like to try some day I save the link to this folder so that I can find it easily without having to spend a lot of time searching the internet for the tutorial.)

Project #1: A denim tic-tac-toe game

I found a tutorial here for a burlap tic-tac-toe game. I can't even remember how I stumbled upon this tutorial, but I'm thankful that I did. I decided to make this game for my niece's 2 yr birthday (I know, not really age appropriate, but I couldn't come up with anything else). I felt like the burlap was too rough, although very cute, so I chose to use denim. Unfortunately I did not think to take pictures while I was sewing this project, so you will only get to see what it looks like completed.



Items you need:
  • denim (30"x30")
  • ribbon (I bought two spools of ribbon, 9 ft each)
  • thread
  • felt





Step 1) Cut denim and ribbon and wash. Make sure you cut the perimeter ribbon an inch or so longer than what you need to make sure that you have enough.

Step 2) Pin and sew perimeter ribbon. I used a zig zag stitch on the top and the bottom of the ribbon.

Step 3) Pin and sew the ribbon that makes up the #.

Step 4) Cut letters out of the felt. I used Century Gothic font (size 400) and I traced the letters inverted on my felt so that there would be no pen marks on the front of the letter. I used "M" for Mom, "D" for Dad, "k" for Katie and "a" for Anna.


I apologize for this not being a very complete tutorial. Please let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! This should be a fun month of posts, looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, and the direction for this month too! I made a quilted checkers game for Charis' birthday one year. Maybe I'll add that so if anyone wants to do a whole slew of fabric games they can =)

    ReplyDelete