8/2/10

Upside Down Peach Cake!


Around here, peaches are coming into season!
Delicious.
This is means for the next few weeks,
they are on sale ... at the store, farmer's market, area orchards, etc.
I bought a few pounds at Checkers last week:
my intention was to surprise Eli with a peach pie - his favorite.
I think realized that I had no Crisco.
And since I had already made my weekly trip to the grocery store,
I needed to find something else special to make!
I pulled out Cake Keeper Cakes. A new cookbook I got several months ago and LOVE!
And found this recipe ... give it a try and enjoy!

Peach-Buttermilk Upside-Down Cake:
TOPPING:
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar (I always use dark)
2 large peaches, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices

*Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round pan and dust with flour. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over med heat until foaming. Stir in the brown sugar, turn the heat to low and cook, whisking for 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth. Arrange the peach slices in concentric circles on top of the sugar mixture. Set aside.

CAKE:
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

*Cream butter and sugar together in mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Mix well. Dump in all dry ingredients and combine - mixing for 30 seconds. Spread batter over peaches. Bake until golden brown, 35-40 min (make sure you have a cookie sheet underneath - mine bubbled over along the edges). Transfer to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate. Yum! Author, Lauren Chattman

No comments:

Post a Comment