3/3/11

Indoor Farming: Day 1

Well, not exactly farming.  We're growing sprouts!

This is something I remember doing when I was little, but could not remember how it was done.  I have a vague memory of a jar and pouring water out, but that was about it.  So after doing some Googling, I'm now ready to give it a try.  Most of the information below is from this helpful link.  There are many sprouting resources out there.  I found most of them very informative, but overwhelming.  So I am going to try and keep it as simple as I can.

Step 1: Gather Supplies - 1 quart jar, cheesecloth or screen for lid, sprouting beans or seeds, (I used a sprouting mix), water, and spoon.
Step 2: Fill jar 1/2 full with water. 
Step 3: Add 2 Tablespoons of Seeds or Beans.

Step 4: Put the lid on the jar.
Step 5: Set the jar out of direct sunlight and leave for 8 hours.
This is happening in real time here folks, so these seed are sitting in my cupboard right now, and I will update the tutorial as it happens.  Hopefully I can actually grow something.

Interested in reading A LOT more about sprouts try:  Mumm's Sprouting Seeds, or The Sprout People.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. looks like a fun project for everyone, and easy/inexpensive enough that if there are some beginners mistakes it won't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about ordering some bulk sprout seeds if anyone wants in on them.

    ReplyDelete