4/16/10

Psalm 37:4 - To Delight

Psalm 37:4 says: "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." (NIV)

Lately I have been struggling with who I am. I know that I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a friend, a sister, an employee...just to name a few. My struggle comes in prioritizing these roles and responsibilities. Some days I want to be a mom and wife first, other days I want to be a friend first, and still other days I want to be an employee first.

I was asking myself last night: What does it mean to "delight" in the Lord? How do I delight in the Lord so that I can get the desires of my heart? I was really only interested in MY desires.

Then, this morning, I got to thinking: What are the desires of my heart? First and foremost, I desire to be the best wife and mom that I can be (with the help of the Holy Spirit, of course). I realized that I have confused my PLAN for my life with the desires of my heart. The verse does not read: "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will make your greatest plans a reality."

Regardless of what role I am in at any given time, I will try my hardest to seek God and "delight" in Him! Although I am still seeking for the true meaning of "delight," I can rest knowing that God has a plan for my life that includes giving me the desires of my heart, even those desires that are uknown to me or have yet to be awakened.

3 comments:

  1. I can identify so much! There are so many "roles" that we take on each day, and ones tugging at us to put on and "be"! It is difficult to prioritize and figure out exactly where God wants us to be and where He wants our focus. Thank you for reminding me to delight in Him today, and allow Him to order my heart and put His desires in my heart to live out according to His will - not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome read. I've been going through a similar thing too. I'm not a wife or mother, but you know what I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed that the comment that I though I left earlier isn't on here. This was a very timely post and I appreciate you sharing!

    ReplyDelete