2/9/10

Milled Flax Seed

Here's a tip to fortify all these granola, granola bars, muffins, and other yummy baked goods you're making: you can substitute flax seed for wheat germ (or just add it in even if the recipe doesn't call for it!).

I found this out by happy substitution, as I didn't have the wheat germ that all the granola recipes were calling for. But I did have a box of milled flax seed (you can find it in the wheat section) on hand so I used it in place of the wheat germ. As far as complimenting the ingredients it was working out just fine, and then I talked to my sister one day while searching for wheat germ at the store (never did find it) and she noted that flax seed is even more nutritionally beneficial than wheat germ, so that was even more of a relief! Isn't it nice when the ingredients that you have on hand work out as great, 'accidental' substitutes?!



Here are some other ways that you can use flax seed as a substitute:
(from the Hodgson Mill box)

Fat Substitute- 3Tbsp. can replace 1 Tbsp fat/oil

Egg Subsitute- 1 Tbsp. + 3 Tbsp. water can replace one egg
I started making muffins the other day and realized that I all had was 1 egg, and the recipe called for 4, so I threw caution to the wind and went for it, not knowing at all how it would work out. I would have preferred to start with a 'safer' 1:1 substitution. However, they turned out really well! I could hardly tell the difference, and the kids certainly didn't notice!

Note- I haven't used wheat germ, so I can't compare the difference this substitution will make in your recipes. But it has really worked out well for me in a pinch, and in a mixing bowl =)

No comments:

Post a Comment